Friday, May 21, 2010

October Beans

Well, I finally know what October beans are.

Hubby’s mom (Terri) offered to cook dinner for us last night. A couple weeks ago we stopped by her house and she had Hubby’s brother’s family over for dinner. It wasn’t a big deal to us, but she was all to pieces over it. So last night was our night.

I asked Hubby on Wednesday night what she was making and he tells me October beans. Now I’m thinking he’s joking because I’ve never heard of them before and his dad is there laughing about pigs feet and all sorts of silly stuff. I didn’t take him seriously.

So, yesterday I ask Hubby again… What’s for dinner?

He says, I already told you. (I’m feeling nervous at this point.)

Again he says, October beans and corn on the cob and he’s not sure what else.

I’m not a huge bean fan. I like green beans, pintos, kidneys and that’s about it. Beans are weird. They are firm but mushy and taste like grass or dirt if not seasoned properly.

So at that point I’m thinking I need to eat a big lunch because I’m going to be served October beans for dinner. Notice I didn’t say I would be eating October beans for dinner. I’m sorry, but I’m not one to eat something just to be nice. Sorry!!! My insides can’t handle it.

I asked a couple of people at work and they’ve never heard of them either. What are these mysterious October beans? I guess I will see.

We get there and we have BBQ pork chops (maybe those are the pigs feet previously referred to???), corn on the cob, baked potato, macaroni and cheese, AND October beans!! (Can we say starch-fest? Oh well, a little starch never hurt anyone, right?)

They are brownish beans about the size of kidneys, seasoned with pork. (As not to taste like grass or dirt) They were pretty good.

I told Hubby’s mom that I’d never heard of them before and of course I end up being the big dork. What’s new?

So now I’m an expert on these infamous October beans. I know exactly what they are.

Hubby’s brother’s family showed up a bit later and Terri offers them some of our feast. So I pipe up to encourage them to enjoy my newly discovered beans.

Here’s me… Hey, do you want some Oklahoma beans? (Terri looks at me funny), Oh, I mean, California beans. (An even funnier look) I mean…

October beans, Terri says.

Yes, right, October beans.

Oh yes, October beans!!!

No comments: